bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton

The Outsider's is a classic coming of age tale. I read this as a 7th grader and was enthralled. I loved everyone from Ponyboy to Dally. I wanted Sodapop to be my brother (or maybe my boyfriend... I was a seventh grade girl).

I remember loving this book so much that later I got the book out from the library and read the entire thing out loud to my younger sister, who also really enjoyed it.

Now at twenty something, I reread it, hoping to feel that magic again. But it didn't happen for me. I found myself reading it more as a look back into a time where they used words like "tuff" and "heaters" (in a side note though, when i read that in 7th grade I thought they were literally talking about heaters. You know, the small portable kind).

Why was I not captivated again? Did I love it because I was in love with the '50s decade? Did I relate to it more as a preteen? Probably both. I enjoyed it this time, but i enjoy the memory of it more. The next time I read this, if ever, it will be to someone who can show me it again through the eyes of a 12 year old.

Originally posted on GR in June 2010