bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

RetroReview: Other Fiction Part I

Dune  - Frank Herbert Catilina's Riddle  - Steven Saylor A Murder on the Appian Way: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Steven Saylor Fatherland (Mortalis) - Robert Harris The Lords of Discipline - Pat Conroy

Dune
By Frank Herbert
Bams Says: I liked this book, but it was a little bit to confusing for me. It's very Sci Fi, and I don't mind that. But I think I would like the miniseries [tv] better then the series [books].

Notes from Now: I read Dune for a boy haha. I think this was the first book I ever read that was straight up sci-fi. To be honest the details involve usually turn me off, but for some reason I love watching them. This miniseries was spectacular. And I remember it featuring a young James McAvoy.

Catalina's Riddle
By Steven Saylor
Bams Says: I had to read this for my Latin class, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was a lovely mystery book set in ancient Rome. A good read if you like that sort of thing.

Murder on the Appian Way
By Steven Saylor
Bams Says: This is the next book in the mystery series. This one I do not think was as good as the other one that I read in this series. But some of my friends likes this one better. To each there own.

Note from Now: These two books were group reads for my Latin classes in high school. Both were mystery books set in Roman times. They actually aren't that bad. I remember liking them enough.

Fatherland
by Robert Harris
Bams Says: Another to read for school, but this one was so brilliant, I couldn't put it down. It's an alternate history thriller/suspense book that answers the question "What would have happened if Nazi Germany won WWII?" Sound intriguing? It is! Highly Recommended!

Note from Now: This book! Seriously this book is amazing. So. Good. And I can say that with a level of certainty because I've read it since high school. it is one of my favorite things to recommend people... which reminds me. I am going to have to nominate this one for book club!

The Lords of Discipline

by Pat Conroy
Bams Says: This book was so good! Very high on the entertaining scale, with twists turns and stuff that I didn't even think would happen. It has a lot of good lessons and by the end of the book I was so involved with Will, the narrator, if he would have ran into a rose bush and bled everywhere I would have started bawling and looking for a first aid kit. BIG RECOMMEND! As long as you don't mind the high profanity.

Note from Now: Oh, the soul crushing that was this book. My heart was ripped from me reading this. So good. I've been meaning to reread it (on what I think will be my third read through). I've been meaning to tackle other Conroy as I loved this one so. But alas! I have yet to get to them.

Also I remember being really thrown and disturbed by the word "cunt" being in print. Oh how the internet has desensitized me to the point where I cant even empathize with my former self.

Great, great book.

RetroReview is a short series I am doing from old reviews I found on my old Geocities page, so pre-GR circa 2004. I was in high school so forgive the lingo. Bunny and Gary are my friends code names; Bams is mine.