bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1) - Alex Flinn, Sonja Häußler

I stumbled into the book because of the movie coming out (now not until March 2011) but I am glad I did. This is a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast from the Beast perspective. Now, I can hear you already. "How the hell can you pull that off?"

Well she does. I firmly believed in his cursing, his transformation, his castle ... every thing was believable. The reason I didn't give it five stars is 1) 5 star books change my life or resonate with me for a while and this wont because 2) its a story I have heard 1000 times. She puts a fresh twist on it that makes it interesting but I could see where she got some of the ideas for her story.

Does this fact make it a bad book? No. I mean even Shakespeare took inspiration from something the classics. Overall I enjoyed it. Hell, I enjoyed it enough to finish it in an evening so there is that. This fairy tale holds a special place in my heart and so it was nice to relive the magic for the first time through the Beast's eyes.

Originally published in June 2010. Don't see the movie, it's horrid. I couldn't get more than 15 minutes in. The book is great though!