bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Progress: 28/271 pages
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady by Kate Summerscale

Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady - Kate Summerscale

This was a really cool book! I love that it's actually true. In between the story of Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace is woven other tales of the Victorian Era. Charles Darwin features often in the second half of the book. Dickens is mentioned as well. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about the life and times of the upper-middle class in Victorian England.

The romance and disgrace itself is told through tidbits collected from Isabella's letters and infamous diary. To me it held my interest more than a plain old biography. I really didn't know how the book would end up going through it. It read more like a fiction novel interspersed with real history, but then i would shake my head and think, "No. This is real"

I enjoyed this as a reader of historical romance. If romance readers want a hint of a REAL romance story, check it out. This is one history book I wouldn't miss.

Pretty much, this was just a good book. Check it out!

PS: I found about this book through NetGalley, but I waited too long to read it and my book expired! So I waited and immediately grabbed this from the library to finish it because I wanted to so badly know what happened to Mrs. Robinson.

Originally posted in GR in June 2012

Progress Notes:

04/14/2012       "Ah! My netgalley ran out! It is sooo interesting thus far too! I wasn't even at the affair yet! I'll have to wait until June to finish the captivating work of non-fiction!"
06/22/2012       "YAY! OMG I have this in my hands again!! Whoot! I can keep reading!"