bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: Fifty Shames of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin

Fifty Shames of Earl Grey - Andrew Shaffer, Fanny Merkin

I have never read 50 Shades. I've heard a lot about it and realized quite quickly through some snippets that this was not a book for me. That said, I am sort of obsessed with the phenomenon of FSoG and have read a few reviews, followed a lot of romance community's opinion and listened to one hilarious podcast. Knowing how much I enjoyed the tongue in cheek podcast, I knew 50 Shames of Earl Grey was right up my alley. It did not disappoint.

There were quite a few instances of me being afraid of disturbing the peace with my laughter in this book. It does a great job of parodying not just the ridiculous story-lines of FSoG and Twilight but also how they're horridly written.

I knew enough to highly enjoy this book, and you don't have to have read either of the sources to enjoy it, though I would suspect people who had would pick up more of the subtle parody. I did however knock a star off because it did start to drag a bit. This may be a limitation on the source material but I was getting a bit bored a little over halfway through.

This book was a really fun read. If you are looking for a light read that mocks current pop culture as well as "those" popular books, give this a try. There is some sexytimes but they usually culminate in a few lines or doves coming out the hooha.

*Note: This ARC was provided for a free and honest review via NetGalley*