bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Just Finished Reactions: The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I just finished it about 20 minutes ago (Hello 3:30!) and I have to say I did find it very engaging and the prospect of such a society intrigued me. I really didn't like the layout of it initially. In fact, I still didn't really like it, I just got used to it. I understand why the author chose it to be choppy and disjointed. Hell, if I were the protagonist I would be lucky to string together two words about that experience let alone a "memoir".

Overall it was okay. I enjoyed it, I guess if "enjoy" is the right word for this type of book. But I don't really enjoy literary analysis so I feel like I may be missing something deeper with this book.

Am I glad I read it, sure. Would I read it again? Probably not.

Originally posted on GR in March 2010. A helpful comment on my review from Lizzie is copied below:

I felt the same way! I think this would have been a perfect read for a college English class, because there was something I was missing that I knew I wouldn't pick up on unless I were to take each sentence and dissect it into tiny bits and pieces. Which, in my opinion, takes the fun out of reading unless you're an English major/teacher/literary fanatic, and I am none of these.