bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Musings: Moving my Catalogue

It's funny the things you can recall about a specific something. I think about this often wit music, how when I hear a specific song I am transported to a location or time in my life for some reason or another. But I have never really thought about it in the context of books.

I've been manually moving my 1098 books from Goodreads to BookLikes since September. Slowly but surely I have gotten to the last 120ish. But I noticed on my last round of moving that I was having the same sensation that I do with music with these books. The funny thing is I haven't even read them all. I remember what was going on when I added them to my tbr! Not all of them of course, but I remember adding a bunch because of all the great recommendations showing up in the Seasonal Reading Challenge group on Goodreads.

Or for books that I have read: I remember being able to take one book with my when I lived in China and I took the next book in the Desperate Duchess series each time I came home and back. This worked out well for me on the plane, because I usually finished it there, but then for four months I'd be bookless.

Then there was my copy of The Little Prince. I picked that up in China in the kids section of a bookstore. On each page it has the words written in English and the mirror page has the words in simplified mandarin. I read that slowly but in Chinese. I still have the same sort of thing with an abridged copy of Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I just thought it was an interesting observation. I guess I always knew the act of reading books could literally transport your mind somewhere else entirely, but it's a new concept for me to think about how it also transport me back to a time in my life. Even if I haven't even read it.