bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: The Bridge by Rebecca Rogers Maher

The Bridge - Rebecca Rogers Maher

Romance novels and suicide are not things that I would normally throw together. That's why when I read the premise for this book, I had to know how that worked. This novella (about 90 pages on my nook) is about two people, Henry and Christa, who both independently decide to pick that night to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge. They meet at the top and neither feels like they can go through with it now knowing that the other person would as well, and thus do nothing to save this strangers life.

They decide to do a sort of 24hr thing to convince the other that they should not kill themselves. They each pick three places to go together and the story stems from that journey.

I thought that this was done remarkably well and fit the length to a tee. I like how the story was structured as it moved throughout the day. I liked the alternating POVs. I liked that Henry and Christa were both real people with real problems that weren't belittled or cured by the power of lurve.

It's was totally worth my $1.99 (a price, I am not going to lie, I struggled with. I normally don't try new authors out for more than .99 nor pay for unknown length novellas at greater than that either). But I am glad I did. I did think the ending came a little out of left field, but I can see why it was written that way, and I did literally pull over after I deplaned, wheelie bag and all to just stand in the airport finishing the last few pages.

It was a great story of real people, and I don't want to say too much because you have all you need to know to see if you would want to read it or not. This could be a trigger for some people I would think, but I really liked it. It was a risk that paid out for me. I will definitely be checking out more from Maher in the future!