bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: The Heart of War by Lisa Beth Darling

The Heart of War - Lisa Beth Darling

I enjoy reading about Greek mythology. In fact I enjoy reading about most mythologies, and as in most mythologies this book is full of the required: sex, arguments, lies, and sex. Our main god in this case is Ares, the asshole true to form Greek god of war. I actually really like how she writes Ares. I fully believe that this dick can be a Greek god. Then we have Alena, also called Maggie, the chastity belt wearing fey descendant on the run. I don’t like her as much. She bores me to be honest.

Ares is in exile and Maggie gets washed on to his island. Hijinks ensue. But these crazy shenanigans take forever to get started. I found the book to be too wordy for me. It was just a lot of things that I didn’t really need to know about or things that dragged on. I found myself scanning through pages for main ideas quite a bit.

Like I said, I really loved how the gods were written. I don’t know how I would have felt if the story pulled me in more, but the fact is I was a little bored.

I have not read much erotica. In fact I don’t really think you can say I have read any before this. So that is my asterisk. The sex was pretty good. It was quite sensual. But (and again this may be a standard thing that I am just unfamiliar with) but sometimes it was a little rough. Like rape rough. I understand the threesomes and fun sex from the perspective of the gods but why did I need to read such random (in the context) violent sex? It just took me out of the story and I had to stop reading for awhile.

Overall, I thought it was okay. It has some things written well, like the characters, but I was not pulled in and some of the sex was a turnoff. But it was ripe with mythologies and was an interesting world that she built. If this sounds like your cup of tea, check it out!

Note that this is from GR in May 2011... I've read more and different erotica since this, but this must have been my first taste, unfortunately for me. I didnt call it out in the review but I believe that this was sent to me via some method for a review, or else I wouldnt have bothered with such detail for a DNF. This is a pretty positive DNF, but I think I did that because I didnt think I was the target audience and I can't fault someone because I didn't know what I was getting into when I picked it up.