bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Shades of Earth - Beth Revis

A strong end to an awesome series!

I just have to get this out of the way. The cover disappointed me. I miss the beautiful ones from the first two books. It messes up the visual awesomeness on my bookshelf.

But who judges a book by it's cover? What matters is what is on the inside, and what is on the inside is nothing short of the end of the greatest YA dystopian sci-fi series I've read. Hands down.

The beginning picks up right where A Million Suns left off, which for me left me a bit confused as I read that book a year ago. I had to confer with my sister to remind myself of all of the events that led to that point. So if you are like me and don't remember details that well, it would behoove you to brush up on the last few chapters of book two.

The ships lands, with a flutter of problems, and they get out to explore Centauri-Earth, their new home. In the midst of all of this, Amy unfreezes the frozen scientists. The two factions (the Frozens and the Shipborns) distrust each other greatly. Amy's father has been thrust into role of commander and is a bit put out that the leader of the shipborns is a kid.

Thus a story of distrust begins.

Worse than that though, is the fact that they are not alone on this Earth. There are these horrible monsters that are like dinosaur hybrids. In my mind it kind of looks like the deranged and dangerous version of Kevin, the giant bird from Up.

I am trying to be super vague here because the twists of this book are pretty awesome. But let me say this for Revis. She is not afraid to kill off people just because this is a book targeted at young adults. In fact, this book has a lot of maturity in it that I love. It's at it's heart a science fiction book that happens to have two teenagers as its protagonists.

Speaking of the teenagers, Amy started to piss me off in the beginning. Not thinking about any of the consequences of her unfreezing actions. Being all flirty with this one solider, Chris. I didn't need a love triangle in this book. In fact the whole things with Chris and flirting feel shoehorned in. I wonder if it was a "You need a love triangle in this" sort of thing. Revis redeemed herself to me a bit though with Chris and Amy toward the end. And that's all I'll say.

Speaking of the end, holy frex, could I not put this down! I have a lot of respect for the ending and the very, very end didn't seem too implausible. (More vaguery here) I probably would have been okay (a bit) with the opposite of what happened at the end happening.

The twists and the actual plot of the story are as usually what hooks me and makes me not want to stop reading. The whole series is just so inventive. Since I read Across the Universe in 2011, I have not read another YA series that is as awesomely unique and imaginative as this. I highly recommend this and all of Revis' books. She is one of my favorite authors and for good reason. She sucks you into a story and you are transported to a world where you are trying to resettle a planet, when at the same time that planet is trying to kill you.