bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Progress: 42/420 pages

Challenge: 30 Day Book Challenge Day Twelve

Everneath - Brodi Ashton Everbound - Brodi Ashton

A Book You Love but Hate at the Same Time

Books we hate to love, also known as the guilty pleasure. Since I love full-hearted and have no guilt what so ever in (most) of my romances novels, I've turned to one particular series that I can definitely say is a guilty pleasure.

I kind of have a thing for mythical retellings. I definitely read the Dark Hunters way past their expiration date and most probably because I loved the mythos. (I mean seriously? How many ways is there to write the same characters and basic plot? 24 apparently).

Enter Everneath: a story on the brink of Greek myths, but not quite really there, but kind of.

Everneath is the story of a girl who gets in with the wrong sorts of people and get trapped in the underworld for a bit, but somehow survives. The first book is what happens when she comes back to Earth for the 6 months she allowed there before she returns. It's got some heavy Persephone/Hades and Orpheus/Eurydice tones, but it not quite a retelling of either.

Anyway, I love it for that. An interesting world that it creates that is at the same time familiar, yet new. But at the same time I hate it for wooden characterization and rushed storytelling.

It had the most interesting character I have read in a while in YA fiction, a true villain in Cole. But I can't stand the fact that the general populace of young adults reading this series could potentially see him as the bad guy love interest when he in fact is a manipulative dick. Non-negotiable.

Hate that I love like a lot is very apropos in this series. Yet I still read on.

Also this: