bambbles

Bambbles Rambles

Books, Reviews, and general awesomeness

About Julia

Feel free to follow and reblog!

Wanton Christmas Wishes
Christopher Moore
Progress: 42/420 pages

Review: Ransom by Julie Garwood

Ransom - Julie Garwood

I really liked the beginning of this book. I read the first 300 pages in one sitting, but then once the romance kicked in (which also happened around page 300... we didn't meet the hero for at least 100 pages), it fell into very obvious trope land and was very predictable.

The hero, Brodick, was quite a bit old skool which makes sense since this was written in 1999. I did like Gillian, but at times she seemed to have too much go right for her... too perfect mixed in with a bit of too stupid to live... occasionally. I still liked her and Brigid, the heroine of the secondary romance, though.

In the beginning it took me forever to understand who everyone was. I actually got out a piece of paper and started writing down who was who and what clan they belonged to... so many B name!

Was it a horrible book as I am making it sound? No. It was still enjoyable and not super super old school. There are some eye-raising tropes, but overall it was still a pretty decent romp into the middle ages. I actually really liked the setting. You could tell with Gillian the role the church played in her life.

So I would rec it if you want to read a pretty decent romp back in time with some decent writing and some well loved tropes. Also, I didn't read the first one (and probably won't) but that didn't hinder my enjoyment as this very much stands alone.